We’re in the midst of a great battle currently sweeping across the country. Shots have been fired and people are taking sides, at least on social media. It is, of course, the Great Chicken Sandwich War of 2019. And while those nationwide chains may be making all of the headlines, we’re pretty sure Richmond’s own, Hot Chick, could beat them all. Yes Richmond, we actually have our own home-grown restaurant dedicated to the perfection of the fried chicken sandwich in the most mouth-watering, creative, and locally focused ways.
Hot Chick, which opened along the historic 17th Street Farmers’ Market in Richmond’s Shockoe Bottom this past January, dedicates an entire section of their menu solely to fried chicken sandwiches – though they are also available as a grilled option or fried in gluten-free flour.
The impressive menu by Executive Chef Mike Lindsay showcases eight elevated fried chicken sandwiches inspired by the flavors of the southeast, as well as the pièce de résistance, the Bad Mutha Clucka which includes TWO Nashville hot chicken breasts, slab bacon, ranch slaw, spicy ranch, smoky honey mustard, pickles, and muenster cheese.
Not quite ready for the Bad Mutha Clucka? Check out these creative options instead:
- Hot Chick: Nashville-style [read: hot!] chicken with dill pickles, ranch, and ranch slaw.
- Classic Chicken: Dill pickles, smoky honey mustard, spicy honey.
- Cali Chick: Grilled chicken with muenster cheese, cabbage, tomato, guacamole, bacon, and ranch.
- Sticky Chicken: Sticky Asian sauce, sesame seeds, spicy ranch, and ranch slaw.
- Smoke Show: Carolina BBQ sauce, pimento cheese, bacon, dill pickles, and smoky honey mustard.
- Memphis Sweet Heat: Sweet and spicy sauce, dill pickles, and ranch.
- Buffalo Soldier: House hot sauce, pickles, blue cheese dressing, and ranch slaw.
- It’s all Gravy Baby: Bacon, gravy, muenster cheese, topped with a sunny side up egg.
Alternatively, Hot Chick also offers a Chicken of the Sea sandwich featuring fried catfish with dill pickles, tartar sauce, ranch slaw, and house hot sauce.
And yes, they’ve got waffle fries to go with that sandwich.
Hot Chick is located at 7 N. 17th Street at the 17th Street Farmers' Market. Check out their full menu here.